Welcome to Holly Class
with Mrs Riach (Mon – Wed) and Mrs Orbell (Thurs-Fri)
We are very much looking forward to getting to know everybody and to having lots of fun learning!
Our topic for the first half term is: ‘All About Me!’
In this topic we will be we will be looking at things that make us special and unique, our families, how our bodies grow, our senses, how we can stay healthy and our emotions.
Some of the questions we hope to answer this half term are
• Do we all look the same?
• What can we do with our senses?
• Who do we live with?
• Where do we live?
• What could we do when we were babies?
• What can we do now we are at school?
• What can we do with our bodies?
In school we will enrich our learning with
• A visit from a baby
• Food tasting
• Looking at pictures of the teachers as babies
• Looking at pictures of the children as babies
We will be doing lots of fun activities in school, but we would also like to ask you to make some time at home to talk to your child about our topic and extend their learning. Here are a few ideas:
• Talk about some of the things that make them unique, e.g. eye colour, hair colour, being able to speak another language, number of family members, etc.
• Talk about special times that you share as a family.
• Talk about their emotions and how we as adults can help them deal with it.
• Talk about how to keep healthy and safe.
Making – this half-term’s Take Home Task
• Make an ‘All About Me’ box – see letter sent home. Please help your children complete the activities on the letter and bring it into school.
Other activities to do at home
• Visit your local library to look for books about people, families, special celebrations, senses and the world around us.
• Go for a walk and talk about the things you can see, hear, smell.
• Do some cooking or baking and talk about the ingredients you are using – What does it smell/taste/feel like? Where does it come from?
What will children have the opportunity to learn?
• To understand that we are all unique and special and that we have to respect those who are different.
• To understand how our senses work.
• To understand that there are things that we can do to keep us healthy and safe and how we can contribute towards it.
• See ‘Mind Map’ of activities on Parents’ Information Board or follow this link . . .
Have fun learning with your child!
Our weekly PE lesson is on Wednesday afternoon, with the wonderful Sports Coach Mr Dan Higgs. Please make sure the children have their PE kits in school for that day, including a sweat shirt or extra top as the weather starts to turn a bit colder. Practising being able to undo/do up their own buttons at home will be a great step towards the children becoming more independent.
Fresh Air Fridays!
Every Friday afternoon we will be concentrating our learning in an outside environment, come rain or shine! Please could you make sure that the children come with a coat on Fridays, and as the autumn and winter set in, it might be a good idea to have a pair of wellies or spare old shoes for the children to change into for going outside on Fridays. Thank you!
Do sign up for the Class Dojos app – the code for registering has been sent home. We will be using Class Dojos to message/show you some of the activities we do in School.
Dates for the diary:
PTA AGM: 20th September 2018 – 7.30pm at School
Jeans for Genes Day: 21st September 2018 – please bring a donation to this charity in return for wearing jeans to school (usual school uniform to still be worn for the top, please!)
Harvest Assembly 9.10am 11th October 2018 – parents welcome.
Parents’ Evening 4.00- 6.00pm 17th October 2018 - please sign up for a time slot at the School Reception
Class Assembly Tuesday 27th November @ 9.10am – parents welcome.